Thursday, December 26, 2013

the light shines in the darkness

from my message on Christmas Eve, 2013, from John 1:1-14

(I start by lighting a candle and singing "This little of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine. This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.  Let it shine, Let it shine, let it shine.)

(as the song ends, a spotlight goes on and shines on the rock wall behind me)

Oh, hello.  Are you the light?  (spotlight nods up and down for YES)

Did you hear us singing about you?  YES

I'm glad you came here tonight.  Are you glad that you came here?  YES

Say, I was wondering, are the same light that was from the very beginning, when God said, "Let there be light?  YES.

And nothing can put you out? (spotlight shakes side to side for NO)

Not even sin?  NO

Not even when we hurt each other?  NO

Not even when we hurt you?  NO

Not even when lie or cheat or steal or love things more than people or for You?  (light shakes faster and faster for NO)

So, it really is true that the light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it?  YES

Are you the light that shone around the angels when they they told the shepherds about Jesus' birth?  YES

Are you the light of the star that led the wise men to Bethlehem?  YES

Are you the light of Christ?  (slow and big)  YES

So you are the light of Jesus healing and teaching and feeding the crowds and raising the dead?  (light nods faster and faster) YES

You didn't go out when your closest friends denied you, betrayed you and deserted You?  (big and slow)  NO

You didn't go out even when you died?  NO

(light moves to the cross while expanding....pause)

You rose again...for us.....to give us hope?  (slow and big)  YES

You really are the light that shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it?  YES

Thank you Lord Jesus for being our Light.  May we carry your light into your world.

(start singing, "Hide it under a bushel? No, I'm gonna let it shine.  Hide it under a bushel? No, I'm gonna let it shine.  Hide it under a bushel?  No, I'm gonna let it shine.  Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment