Tuesday, March 30, 2010

hobbling through Holy Week

3/30/10 Saturday afternoon, I had just started out on a walk on the hike and bike trail in the park right behind our house. I was walking on the right side of the path, as is the American convention. A cyclist was coming directly at me, on his left side of the path. He was looking at me, and I at him. We played chicken. I lost. I jumped at the last possible second. My right calf muscle screamed in pain. I yelled at the cyclist, "I can't believe it."

I was really sore physically and in all other ways. I would make a lousy invalid. I so enjoy the freedom of movement that I have. I walked with a cane on Sunday morning, Palm Sunday, the day after my event. I preached sitting down. That evening I tried walking about 1/2 mile with a cane to keep my muscles stretched out as my family doc reccommened. Monday morning I walked a mile, then lifted weights in a reduced fashion, then walked 3/4 mile. The more I exercised the better my leg felt. This morning I walked 3 miles. It is slower going, but I am going to make it.

It is funny that my sermon title for Easter is "Run for your life," from John 20:1-18, where Mary runs to tell the disciples and Peter and John race back.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment