Thursday, June 2, 2011

an unusual wedding

6/2/11 Last week I traveled to College Station to perform the marriage of a young woman who was a little girl when I first met her. I was her pastor when she was in grade school through high school. She and her husband are Aggies, so it was fitting to go to the heart of Maroon and White, College Station.

The rehearsal went well. The temperature was only in the high 80's with low humidity, so it felt pretty good. The next day, the day of the wedding it was hot and humid and very windy. As I drove out to the picturesque wedding site, the thermometer in my car read 100 degrees. The groom's party still dressed in their tuxedos. I may be an Aggie, but I am not stupid. I dressed in a white guayabera short sleeve shirt. It was so windy that the flower petals that lined the walkway and bridge over which we walked all blew into the water we crossed. The best man, the groom's brother, drove a radio controlled car with the rings on it across the bridge. The maid of honor, the bride's sister, drove a radio controlled dump truck with flower petals in it across the bridge. Did I tell you that the groom was into computer science and robot design and the bride into aerospace engineering?

The bridesmaids entered on the Beach Boys's "Wouldn't It Be Nice." The processional song to which the bride entered was the Beatles' "All You Need Is Love".

With the wind blowing so hard, I had to use my preacher voice to be heard in the great outdoors. The parents of the bride gave her away. The parents of the groom gave him away. I like the equality of that.

After the declaration of marriage, the couple didn't have a unity candle. That was forethought since the wind would never have let any candle stay burning. The moms came forward with blue and green colored legos and handed them to their respective children. Then the bride and groom poured their legos into a glass cylinder, mixing them together.

The pictures didn't take long to take. The feast was at the same venue as the wedding. Wildlife behind fences was outside the picture windows. It was terrific. It was unique. It was an unusual wedding.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment