Tuesday, May 22, 2012

movie reviews

5/22/12  I watch a lot of movies.  We have some of the premium movie channels through our cable provider at home.  We have Netflix, getting one DVD at a time and the on-line streaming.  I read the movie reviews in the paper.  I watch a lot of movies because I think movies try to do what I try to do each week in worship, and that is, to say something about the human condition and how God's presence intersects with us.

Cathy and I saw the Muppet Movie last week on Netflix DVD.  We loved it.  One could say that it was simply a lot of puppets acting out a reunion script, but we laughed and cried at the touching story.  I appreciated the humor of the time when the Muppets had to cross over to France from the USA very quickly and so they traveled "by map."  They pushed a button on their car that said, "travel by map," and they suddenly were driving on shore at Nice.  There were all kinds of layers to the story so that children and adults could relate.  I give it 2 thumbs up. There was no mention of faith, but there was strong theme of hope, commitment, and community.

Two weeks before we saw The Way, a film starring Martin Sheen, with his son, Emilio Estevez heavily involved.  This was a journey film, as Martin completes a pilgrimage across northern Spain for his son who died just starting the trip.  The role of faith is in almost every scene as Martin and others on the road try to figure out why they are walking.  The importance of community is key in this film also.  Two thumbs up.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment