Wednesday, September 12, 2012

hospitality & performance anxiety

9/12/12 Yesterday we hosted the Austin District professionals meeting.  This means that pastors, Christian educators, church musicians, youth directors, etc., who work in United Methodist congregations in the Austin area gathered at Westlake UMC, where I am senior pastor.  The bishop, Jim Dorff, was coming to the meeting.  He was to install our new District Superintendent, Steve Purdy, as a part of the worship service.  I wanted everything to go well:  parking, greeting, food, fellowship, worship.  It was like I was back in school again, trying to please the "big people" in my life:  parents, teachers, principals, coaches.  All of my super-responsible, perfectionistic, people-pleasing  tendancies came back to haunt me.  I get a bit hyper.  I focus on details more than usual.  I read non-verbal cues.

Everything went exceedingly well.  Our laypeople from the welcoming committee did a super job helping folks to find parking and the worship center.  Our fellowship committee did a terrific job with the food and decorations.  My church staff did a great job with music, audio visual support, greeting, logistics, etc.  I could not have been more pleased.  I heard so many compliments of how we came across. 

By the time we were cleaning up about 1:30 p.m., I was exhausted.  Thanks be to God, I had no evening meetings last night, because I was spent.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment