Thursday, August 9, 2012

2 funerals

8/9/12  There is a man named Bob I have known since 1979 when I was the associate pastor at St. John's in Austin.  His family was part of the congregation.  He attended our church camps and Sunday School.  His daughter married a United Methodist pastor.  He died 2 weeks.  When I got word of his death through an email from the conference office, I offered my condolences to his family.  They asked me to do his memorial service.  Please understand...Bob was not a member of any church.  He was an agnostic.  Please pray for me as I will be leading a worship service for Bob on Saturday at 11 a.m.

Yesterday,  a woman named Ruth died.  She was a charter member of the congregation I now serve, Westlake UMC in Austin.  She has been sick the whole time I have known her, these last 5 years.  She still had a sharp mind in a rapidly declining body.  Of course, there is a sense of loss in her passing, but also a sense of relief.  The family has asked me to lead her funeral service on Saturday at 2 p.m.

I know when I served Laurel Heights in San Antonio, I sometimes did as many as 33 funerals a year, and sometimes that was 2 in one day.  But it has been a long time since that has happened.  May I have the strength and compassion to do this well.  May Bob and Ruth be remembered well.  May their families and friends be lifted up and encouraged.  May God be glorified through 2 funerals.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment