Thursday, August 2, 2012

sinner

8/2/12  The Psalm for this week according to the lectionary is Psalm 51, David's prayer of confession.  David has been confronted by the prophet Nathan, who makes David aware of his sin:  committing adultery with Bathsheba, lying to Bathsheba's husband Uriah, having Uriah killed, and taking Bathsheba as his own wife.  The Psalm is a cry for mercy after acknowledging that we are sinners.

We are trying to rent a condo that we own in Corpus Christi.  I made a verbal commitment to several people that they could see it before we would rent it out.  Yesterday, we rented it to the first family who saw it.  I had to tell the other families that it had already been rented and that there was no need for them to come see it.  One email back confronted me with my broken promise, "so much for a fair chance for everyone."  The text stung me because it told the truth about me:  that I was a sinner.

The only good news is that in the Psalm and in our Christian walk, there is forgiveness for those who confess that they are sinners.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment