Tuesday, May 26, 2009

a typical day

5/26/09
Some people think that we pastors work only 1 day a week and a half day at that. So I thought I would give you what a typical day is like for, in fact, this day.
I usually begin the day with prayer and exercise. Yes, as far as spiritulity types, I am a crossbreed between an activist and a comtemplative. Today, I had an early break fast with my wife. Then I walked for 3 1/2 miles at Lady Bird Lake before swimming 1/2 mile at Deep Eddy Pool. The walking, the breathing, the praying, the rhythm of swimming all become a unity for me. I pray for my family, my church family, needs of the world--time passes very quickly. Almost every day will find me starting by praying and exercising.
Then when I get to the office, I go through my emails. I never thought I would spend so much time on the computer! I have voice mails and snail mail to answer as well. Today I had 27 emails when I arrived, only 1 voice mail, and 2 snail mail.
Today, we had our weekly staff meeting where we pray together and help each other in the various ministry areas. This particular meeting was "web heavy" as Pastor Jim taught more about updating our tabs on our church website.
I had lunch with a United Methodist Women's Circle at one of the member's homes. Salads and 7 lovely ladies full of conversation.
I have been working on the worship bulletin for this Sunday, Pentecost when our confirmation class will be helping to lead. In just a little bit, other worship leaders will join me as we try to put the polish on the flow.
I get to leave early today, about 4 p.m., because I have no evening meetings. This is not typical. What is typical is that over the holiday weekend, I had a phone call asking for prayer for an emergency situation and one counseling situation that arose quickly.
What is typical is that my calendar can have all kinds of appointments listed that cancel, or that it can be totally blank for that page and it turn out to be my busiest day. What is typical is that I am seldom bored.

Love,
Pastor Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment