Monday, June 8, 2009

VBS

6/8/09
The church has its own jargon and acronymns. One of the most enduring is VBS, which stands for Vacation Bible School. Ours started this morning with about 107 children. You can imagine that the energy and noise levels around here have ramped up just a wee bit.
I love this week actually. In fact, I asked to help lead the music. I like the children to see me in this role. I like to see the children learn about Jesus in a relaxed, unhurried way.
We really do ministry with children well at this church. They are divided up into family groups, with about 8-10 children per group with 2 adult leaders. The children are of mixed ages, so it is like a family, with the older ones taking on responsibilities, and everyone learning to work together.
This year's theme is "Extollo," which I think is Latin for "I praise." We are re-creating the experience of first century Christians in Rome, so the leaders are dressed in togas. A Roman soldier wanders around. There are shopkeepers that lead activities and a cave where the church worships in secret underground. Of course, there are snacks and crafts and music.
VBS could also stand for Very Blessed Students.

Love,
Pastor Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment