Thursday, June 4, 2009

Well-fed

6/05/09
I was reflecting at Annual Conference today, sitting at the table, while reports were being offered, and I counted up that I had had the sacrament of communion 7 times in the last 5 days. On both Sunday and Wednesday, I had communion twice. Every other day I had it once.
John Wesley, who founded the Methodist movement, that later became today's United Methodist Church, believed in frequent communion. He believed that Christ showed up at the sacrament and changed people's lives. He believed that it was a "converting sacrament." That's why we Methodists practice an "open table," inviting anyone who is willing to receive whatever Christ has to offer at the table to partake.
I know that Christ continues to show up and continues to change people's lives, because he continues to change mine. I am hungry for what He provides. Today I am well-fed.

Love,
Pastor Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment