Thursday, January 28, 2010

the greatest of these is love

1/27/10 I was visiting yesterday with a young couple for their premarital counseling. One of the passages that they picked for their wedding service is the classic I Corinthians 13, which ends, "Now faith, hope, love abide, these three, but the greatest of these is love." Without breaking any confidences, our time together went well. They laughed, they cried, they talked well about what they meant when they said they loved each other.

The bigger context of love is this. The young man, C., who is getting married, I have known since before he was born. He nearly died in infancy. His parents and I prayed and struggled over him. I baptized him when he was 2 years old. Love in Christ is like that. It is not just a warm fuzzy feeling or sexual. It is tenacious, long-lasting, and fierce. C. has grown up with that kind of love, and I suspect will pass it on in his marriage and in his parenting and in his work. That kind of love is the greatest.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment