Thursday, November 11, 2010

hair

11/11/10 My breath prayer comes from Luke 21:18-19, "But not a hair of your head will perish. By your endurance you will gain your souls." I had a full head of hair until my 40's. By age 50, the hair was thinning pretty fast. A few years ago, the church I was serving had a lot of people undergoing cancer treatments which meant that they lost their hair through chemotherapy. So to identify with them, I trimmed what little hair I had very short. Really, it wasn't that big a sacrifice. My nearly bald head is a good reminder though of all who are living with cancer every time I look in the mirror.

In this passage, Jesus says that not a hair of your head will perish. It reminds us of a similiar passage in Matthew where he says all the hairs of your head are numbered by God. In doing some research this past week, I found other hair references in the OT. They all seem to be imagery of God's intimate care for us. God knows us even down to our hair. God knows me even down to the little hair I have left.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment