Wednesday, January 5, 2011

swearing in

1/5/11 I have just come back from the swearing in ceremony of our State Comptroller of Public Accounts, Susan Combs, who is a member of our church. It was held in the Texas Senate chambers. I led the pledge of allegiance to the U.S. flag and to the Texas flag. I then offered the following prayer:

Gracious God, we trust, we honor you. You alone are Lord. We ask you to bless your child Susan, who seeks to serve you and the great State of Texas as our comptroller of Public Accountants. Help her to stand tall as a witness to you. Give her wisdom, integrity, and a cool head in the midst of hot debate. Bless her and Joe in their marriage, work, and play. Dear God, save us from a lack of civility; rescue us from the tyranny of the tiny. And dear God, as much as long to know what the budget numbers are for this next biennium, we long to know you more. You are ever faithful, so we make this prayer in confidence. Amen.

One of our church members, Margaret, was there. I first met Susan at Margaret's house at a Christmas party 3 years ago. One of the youth from the time I was associate pastor at St. John's here in Austin, now a man named Robert, works in Susan's office. He is all grown up, married, has kids, and has a new church home. It was great to visit with him. As I was walking to my car, I saw Carolyn, a visitor to our church, who works in Susan's office too. I also met another church member, Will, when I first arrived. I was happy to be part of the swearing in.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment