Sunday, January 23, 2011

wisdom and finances

from my sermon on 1/23/11 from Proverbs

Wisdom and Finance, this is the 3rd in a series of 6 sermons from Enough: Discovering Joy through Simplicity and Generosity. There is also a book you may obtain and small group discussions in most of our Sunday School classes.

I appreciate the many positive comments you have offered. Some are facing retirement, and this series has helped to frame that transition. Some have debts left over from college loans. Some are trying to save for college for their kids. Some are underwater in their home loans. Some of lost jobs, or been furloughed, or been downsized.

I appreciate those of you who have questioned the study, especially those who have asked, Is this just a sneaky way for the church to ask for more of my money? Full Disclosure at this point, the Stewardship Committee chose this study at the suggestion of Texas Methodist Foundation. There is a commitment card coming on Feb. 13. However, the Stewardship Committee realized that this end of year/beginning of year period was a good time for people to review their spending patterns. We are getting our W2's in the mail, we are looking at our credit card bills, and we are preparing our income taxes. Furthermore, the Stewardship Committee understands that we are stewards, managers of all that God has given us. We are just borrowing this stuff for a little while. As long as it is only our money, we will be challenged in this study. If it is God's money, we may find a blessing in this study.

So today when we consider Wisdom and Finance, we remember that line that is used over and over again in Proverbs, The beginning of wisdom is the fear of the LORD. Fear means awe, respect, honor, worship.

The first passage we look at is Prov. 3:9 Honor the LORD with your substance and with the first fruits of all your produce. It is the context of worship in which we make our gifts. I have collected a lot of quotes for this series. Here's one: As we make our offering, no matter hwat else we say or do, this morning Lord, this tells what we think of you. The passage talks about first fruits, a concept that is found all through the Bible. First means first in time. You don't wait until the end of the harvest to see if there is enough left over. First also means first in quality. You don't say, That lamb has 3 pretty good legs. You give to God an unblemished lamb, not the culls. You find today and at our website, 6 KEy Financial Planning Principles. The first one is to put God first. It is amazing how this stance prioritizes all of our fianancial decisions.

The next passage is Prov. 21:5, The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to want. Any of you grow up on a farm? Or admit it? How long does it take to bring in the harvest or raise a flock? Success does come quickly. Get rich quick schemes often lead to nothing. I got to attend the UT-A & M basketball game Wednesday night. It was mostly wonderful. The family had a parking place right next to the Drum. We had a lovely meal right there with short walking distance of the entrance. We had courtside seats. I could have leaned forward and touched the Aggie players. You might have seen my on TV on ESPN 2 with my head in my hands as the Aggies never showed up to play and got slaughtered on national TV. This family has worked with many student athletes over the years. Some show great maturity and restraint. But some just can't handle the new found riches. People will give them multimillion dollars because they can run fast or jump high. You know what often happens. They wrap their sportscar around a tree. Much money is spent on cocaine up the nose. Family members manipulate them. Diligent plans lead to abundance. Haste leads to want. There is a Life and Financial Goals sheet in your insert and on our website. It is good for individuals, for couples, for families. Wisdom includes making plans.

Another passage comes from Prov. 21:20 Precious treasure remains in the house of the wise, but the fool devours it. The literal words for precious treasure are choice oil. Extra virgin olive oil seems to be it. It represented the standard for wealth and luxury. The wise make it last. Fools squander it. Where does the money go? We have included a budget worksheet for you to chart your income and your outgo.

The next passage comes from Prov. 23:4-5, Do not wear yourself out to get rich; be wise enough to desist. When your eyes light upon it, it is gone; for suddenly it takes wings to itself, flying like an eagle towards heaven. It wold be funny if not so true. We wear ourselves out seeking wealth which only sprouts wings and flies away. Another author says, Possessions are sparrows in flight, which can find no place to alight.

Cathy and I are frugal. We have managed very well on pastor's and teacher's salaries. We have gotten 2 boys through college with no debt. We have many material blessings. We do not have a poor me attitude. But there is a line in the book that has really nailed me, We can be wasteful, because we can get away with it. The more you have the more you tend to waste. Cathy and I are really being challenged by this study. It is causing us to slow down, to pause, to pray, to question do we really need this.

Proverbs is a book of wisdom collected over hundreds of years. As you read some, you will be struck that they come from the hardscrabble life of peasants eking out a life from the land. As you read others, they will be from the royal court, probably from King Solomon himself. And others will sound like they came from school which they probably did as in an instruciton text. But if you read closely, you will find Proverbs saying one thing here and a direct contradiction later on. Let me illustrate in the financial realm. Prov. 10:15, The wealth of the rich is their fortress, the poverty of the poor is their ruin. Prov. 28:11 says, The rich is wise in conceit, but an intelligent poor person sees through the pose. So which is it? You want rules to cover every situation. You want to follow the Bible literally. Proverbs doesn't do that. Why? You have to take responsibility, you have to choose for yourself. No one else can do it for you, not the pastor, not your financial advisor, only you. I can't make you do any of this homework on these sheets. The responsibility is yours. Proverbs 22:2 says, The rich and the poort have this in common, the LORD is the maker of them all.

What are you going to do? I am going to tell you a story. You all are so helpful in sending me good illustrations. Here's one.


Recently I overheard a Father and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure.
Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the Father said, 'I love you, and I wish you enough.' The daughter replied, 'Dad, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Dad.'They kissed and the daughter left. The Father walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see he wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on his privacy, but he welcomed me in by asking, 'Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?' 'Yes, I have,' I replied. 'Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever good-bye?'..'I am old, and she lives so far away.. I have challenges ahead and the reality is - the next trip back will be for my funeral,' he said.'When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, 'I wish you enough.' May I ask what that means?'He began to smile. 'That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone...' He paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail, and he smiled even more. 'When we said, 'I wish you enough,' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them.' Then turning toward me, he shared the following as if he were reciting it from memory.

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear..I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more. I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting. I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.

He then began to cry and walked away.

Wisdom and finance. I wish you enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment