Tuesday, January 11, 2011

world weary

1/11/10 The news of these days has worn me out. A lone gunman has attempted to assassinate a congresswoman in Arizona, killing 6 others in the process including a federal judge and a 9 year old child, and wounding 12 others. Brisbane, Australia, where we visited our friends this summer is being flooded. Sudan is voting to split into 2 countries. The elected president of Ivory Coast can't take office. Haiti is one year out from its earthquake and still caught in a quagmire of government ineptitude and cholera fever. A man in our church with ALS has now been diagnosed with cancer. On it goes.

The Old Testament lesson for this week is from Isaiah 49. He says in a world weary way, "I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity." And then in the next verses, he reverses his tone, "I am honored in the sight of the LORD, and my God has become my strength."

That's why I pray. That's why I practice this Christian walk. God transforms my weariness into his strength.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment