Wednesday, October 12, 2011

glory

10/12/11 My breath prayer comes from Exodus 33:18, where Moses makes a bold request of the LORD, "Moses said, 'Show me your glory, I pray." The LORD grants this request in a backhanded way. The LORD hides Moses in the cleft of a rock, covered by the LORD's hand, and passes by, and shows Moses his backside. I am reminded of that military courtroom scene where Jack Nicholson says to the younger officer who demands the truth, "You want the truth. You can't handle the truth!" We too can't handle the glory of the LORD. It would overwhelm us, terrify us.

I saw the backside of the LORD's glory this morning. On my walk, as I was nearing our house, a coyote crossed in front of me. As I was walking to put my yogurt in the refrigerator at church, one of the pre-school teachers saw me and just opened up with something going on in her life. I simply listened.

Show me your glory, I pray.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment