Monday, October 3, 2011

40th high school reunion

10/3/11 Over the past weekend, I attended my 40th high school reunion in Littlefield, Texas. I had last attended one of these 30 years ago at the 10th reunion. I had let my little town wound me. I have held onto these hurts for a long time. When I was with the group of 30 to 40 people that drifted in and out over Friday night and Saturday evening, I found that the things that had grown so large in my memory were not even on others' radar. No one mentioned the losing football season of my senior year and the town's blaming me for all of the losses. We mostly talked about our families and our current work. We recalled some memories, but they were about stuff that I had not really counted as important. One woman said I gave her a blue ceramic pony when we were in first grade together. I had no recollectin of it at all. I attended thte football game on Friday night, which Littelfield won over Childress. The stands were only moderately full. Not many were paying attention to what was happening on the field. Most were chatting with their neighbors, watching their kids eat popcorn, etc. Mistakes were made on the field--fumbles, penalties, interceptions, blown calls by the refs---and life went on.

Overall the 40th reunion was a healing event. I enjoyed reconnecting with my classmates. I tried to be a good listener. Some seemed interested in hearing what was going on with me. I am glad I went to my 40th. The 40 years of the Hebrews children wandering in the desert was good for them too.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment