Wednesday, April 20, 2011

serendipity

4/20/11 Cathy and I have been carpooling to save gas, to save money, and to save the planet. This means I need to adapt my schedule sometimes. For instance, this morning, I didn't do my morning walk in our neighborhood park. Cathy needed to buy icing for some scones she made for her English classes. This is in celebration of Shakespeare's birthday. Anyhow, we left early to go by HEB to get the icing and then to get Cathy to her school so she could get the icing on the scones before classes started. This meant that I would wait and walk in the neighborhoods around the church and then shower at church before starting my work.

I don't know why I chose this particular road to walk on. I don't remember having walked on it before. But after I had come to the turn around and started heading back, I saw a man jogging uphill. As he got closer, I recognized him as one of our church members. I ran him with a short while, and then we walked and talked. We talked about the high price of gas....and about how dry and prone to wildfires Texas was now....and about the church....and about Easter. I got to show him a small walking path behind the medical professional buildings that he didn't know existed. It was quite pleasant.

I had been trying for 2 weeks to give to this man and his wife a painting that my wife had done as a thank you gift to them for letting us use their ranch on spring break. I got to hand it to him this morning.

This Wednesday morning of Holy Week was a gift. It was a little inbreaking of light and hope and community. It was serendipity.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment