Wednesday, August 10, 2011

collage

8/10/11 Yesterday, we had our annual staff retreat. We try to spend some time away from our usual routines to look back at what went well and what could have gone better. We look ahead and put some programs and ministries on the calendar. We address some problem areas and anticipate conflicts in launching new programs.

Every year, I try to have some surprise or enrichment to get us to look at things differently. In other years, we have had a drum circle or instruction in Xi Gong. Yesterday we met at Eye of the Dog Art Studio. Beverly was our resource person. She also happens to be the sister of Hilary our children's minister.

Beverly had us do a collage. We could choose a canvas mounted on a box. We could paint it, add pictures or words to it. Beverly had a huge collection of ephemera (fancy word for left-overs, like magazines, wrapping paper, sheet music, coins, buttons, etc.). We were to create a piece of art, using both sides of our brains. I was very task-oriented and finished before anyone else. I saw where the staff members were crowded around one area, so I would go to another area and let whatever I found there speak to me.

My collage was on the smallest canvas. I wanted to take the pressure off myself of trying to fill a large space. I painted the background a navy blue, my favorite color. I put the word "faith" in the center. I had butterflies as symbols of the resurrection. I have a piece of sheet music to illustrate my love of music. I had the word "Yes" in raised wooden letters (tiles from scrabble). I had a phrase, "it is ok to be assertive," as that is something I am integrating more into my life now. I had another phrase, "seeing thing differently" upside down. I had a key to show openness to God. I had a coin to show concerns over retirement. I had a dice to show that our choices matter, but I had the number 3 showing face up on it to illustrate that God, the Triune God, is Sovereign.

This is not an exercise that I would have chosen for myself, which is exactly why I wanted to do it. Our staff all shared their collages with the whole group. They seemed to have gotten a new insight into themselves and into one another.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment