Tuesday, August 2, 2011

feet

8/2/11 My breath prayer for the day comes from Romans 10:15, "And how are they to proclaim him unless they are sent? Asit is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" A book of devotions called the Daily Disciplines had as its focus this passage today. The author remarked about his feet that he did didn't think of them as very beautiful. When I look at my feet, I see a large scar on my left foot. When I was a preschooler, I was playing on a swingset in my grandparents' back yard in Marble Falls, Texas. A piece of metal scraped the top of my left foot off. I can remember it vividly, rolling around in the grass in the dark, squeezing my foot. When my parents got me to the back porch light, they were shocked to find a bloody mess. I remember getting 13 stitches at the emergency room at the hospital. It took a long time to heal in my memory. And getting the stitches out is still seared into my mind.

I have had other trouble with my feet, especially rashes. I am prone to skin irritation, and sweaty, non-aerated places like inside shoes only help.

But these feet have been called to proclaim the gospel. Week by week I stand before the gathered community and try to string together some words of hope and healing. Some of my colleagues preach bare-footed, emulating Moses' example of realizing he was standing on holy ground. How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment