Monday, August 22, 2011

in order to go forward, retreat

8/22/11 Our Bd. of Ordained Ministry is having its first ever retreat. We have lots of meetings, business sessions, interviews, etc., but never before have we had a retreat. What makes it even better is that the Bishop and the District Superintendents and the chairs of District Committees on Ordained Ministry are present as well. We are at the Oblate Center in San Antonio for 2 days.

Our chairperson asked me to give the opening devotional. So I had everyone stand in a circle and sing the Hokey Pokey. I asked everyone to bring their whole self to the retreat. Our act of confession was to name before another person what is keeping us from bringing our whole self here: start of school, fall programming at church, hospital calls, etc. After a word of pardon and assurance, I asked the group to help me remember all of the times that Jesus went on retreat. In a book by Len Sweet, he had a chapter called, "come apart, so you don't come apart." My language for it was "in order to go forward, retreat." Jesus would go away with his disciples, or spend all night in prayer, or go into the wilderness for 40 days at the start of his ministry, or go the Garden just before his crucifixion. I then had the folks to own what was the word for them, what they hoped would happen on this retreat. Our sending forth was singing, "Go now in peace" and sharing the peace of Christ.

At the end of this first day, I can say that it has been worthwhile. I have been challenged to ask the right questions that lead to transformation of the church.

Love,
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment